What to do when I have lived abroad?

Living or spending time abroad does not affect the amount of your earnings-related pension. Working abroad may affect the amount of your earnings-related pension. If you apply for pension from Kela, living abroad may affect its amount. Earnings-related pension and national pension thus differ in this respect.

Report information concerning living and working abroad in Appendix U

When you apply for a pension, you will be asked in the application form whether you have lived or worked abroad. Based on that, you will be asked to fill in Appendix U (Residence and employment abroad).

If you are applying for pension from an EU or EEA country, a social security agreement country, Switzerland or Great Britain, you can apply for that pension using the same one you use to apply for Finnish pension. Appendix U is an essential attachment to your application.