What to do when I need information on the taxation of my pension?

Questions about pension taxation

If we have not received your pension income tax card when your pension begins, we will have to withhold 40% tax on your pension. If the amount of your pension increases by more than 20 euros, the tax on the increase is 40%.

We will refund any excess tax withheld from your pension as soon as you have received the pension income tax card from the tax authority.

You can raise the tax percentage for your pension yourself online by logging in to our online service using your Finnish banking codes or a mobile certificate. Alternatively, you can inform our Pension Payments department of the raised tax percentage by phone or in writing.

When you raise your tax percentage in Varma Online Service, indicate only the amount of the increase so that we do not apply a tax rate that is too high.

If you are undergoing vocational rehabilitation you must submit a new tax card every year.

New tax percentages enter into effect annually on the 1st of February. The tax percentage applied to your January pension is the same as the previous year’s tax percentage.

Apply for pension income spreading from the tax authorities if you are receiving pension retroactively for years preceding the year of payment.

Read more about income spreading on the Tax Administration’s website at vero.fi.