Skip to content

Reporting earnings

Report your employees’ earnings to the Incomes Register. Submit the notification within five days (including holidays) of wages being paid. If the deadline for submitting the earnings information falls on a Saturday, Sunday or other public holiday,  you may submit the information on the next banking day. The earnings data is needed for the calculations of insurance contributions and pensions. Also, find out which earnings form the basis for pension and are to be reported.

Submit earnings to the Incomes Register

  1. Acquire e-Authorisation. Make sure that the authorised signatories are up to date in the Trade Register. Read more about e-Authorisation on the Tax Administration's website. If you report income data directly from your payroll administration system, apply for a digital certificate to use the Incomes Register’s technical interface. Read more about the certificate service on the Tax Administration's website.
  2. Take out TyEL insurance. When reporting earnings, use Varma's pension provider code 55 and the pension policy number. The pension policy number is 11 digits long. If your insurance number is shorter than that, add zeros after the dash.
  3. Report the earnings electronically to the Incomes Register within five days (including holidays) of each pay day. Late reporting can lead to the accrual of insurance contribution interest on the TyEL contribution.
  4. Correct any errors in the earnings information directly to the Incomes Register. Neither the Incomes Register nor Varma has no right to correct the reports the employer has made. Income earners who notice an error in their information must ask the employer to correct it. Report to Varma only corrections to salaries paid prior to 1 January 2019.

Varma will receive earnings data for the calculations of insurance contributions and pensions directly from the Incomes Register. Read more about reporting on the Tax Administration's website.

As from 1 January 2021 the Finnish Tax Administration will impose late-filing penalty for delayed Incomes Register reports. Read more about the late-filing penalty on the Tax Administration's website.

How to report fringe benefits to the Incomes Register?

Get to know the instructions on reporting the fringe benefits and reimbursements of expenses to the Incomes Register:

Report earnings information of a person who is retiring to the Incomes Register

We will no longer send pension information requests, as we receive the earnings information of an employee who is retiring directly from the Incomes Register.

The employer must also remember to notify the Incomes Register of the date when the employee’s employment relationship ends.  If you report earnings of an employee who is retiring more than once a month, notify the date when the employee’s employment relationship ends on each notice. Even though the date when an employment relationship ends is voluntary information in the Incomes Register, we are always required to know this information in order to grant old-age pension.

Earnings under TyEL

The earnings that form the basis for pension always consist of compensation for work performed. Usually, the earnings that accrue pension for your employee are the same as the earnings subject to withholding tax.

Earnings under TyEL are, for example:

  • basic pay, such as monthly, hourly or contractual pay
  • fringe benefits, such as a company car or flat or free or subsidised meals
  • bonus and performance pay
  • compensation paid for a statutory period of notice
  • annual holiday pay and compensation
  • pensionable earnings
  • sick-leave pay paid by the employer
  • remuneration for positions of trust, if the individual has an employment contract with the payer
  • dividends based on work input paid after 1 January 2021

The following do not fall under TyEL:

  • tax-exempt travel reimbursements
  • tax-exempt per diem allowances
  • staff benefits, if they extend to all employees
  • compensation paid for a period of notice exceeding the statutory period
  • compensation for a dismissal during a temporary lay-off period
  • compensation for expenses such as working equipment and kilometre travel allowances
  • dividends or profit sharing
  • additional leave days in accordance with the Annual Holidays Act

If you are unsure whether a certain compensation or benefit qualifies as earnings under TyEL, please call us at +358 10 192 102 to find out if the employee’s pension contribution should be withheld from it.

var sdkInstance="appInsightsSDK";window[sdkInstance]="appInsights";var aiName=window[sdkInstance],aisdk=window[aiName]||function(e){function n(e){t[e]=function(){var n=arguments;t.queue.push(function(){t[e].apply(t,n)})}}var t={config:e};t.initialize=!0;var i=document,a=window;setTimeout(function(){var n=i.createElement("script");n.src=e.url||"",i.getElementsByTagName("script")[0].parentNode.appendChild(n)});try{t.cookie=i.cookie}catch(e){}t.queue=[],t.version=2;for(var r=["Event","PageView","Exception","Trace","DependencyData","Metric","PageViewPerformance"];r.length;)n("track"+r.pop());n("startTrackPage"),n("stopTrackPage");var s="Track"+r[0];if(n("start"+s),n("stop"+s),n("addTelemetryInitializer"),n("setAuthenticatedUserContext"),n("clearAuthenticatedUserContext"),n("flush"),t.SeverityLevel={Verbose:0,Information:1,Warning:2,Error:3,Critical:4},!(!0===e.disableExceptionTracking||e.extensionConfig&&e.extensionConfig.ApplicationInsightsAnalytics&&!0===e.extensionConfig.ApplicationInsightsAnalytics.disableExceptionTracking)){n("_"+(r="onerror"));var o=a[r];a[r]=function(e,n,i,a,s){var c=o&&o(e,n,i,a,s);return!0!==c&&t["_"+r]({message:e,url:n,lineNumber:i,columnNumber:a,error:s}),c},e.autoExceptionInstrumented=!0}return t}( { instrumentationKey:"e0d09fd7-66d8-492a-9be1-1bddb519a28e" } );window[aiName]=aisdk,aisdk.queue&&0===aisdk.queue.length&&aisdk.trackPageView({}); (function (w, d, s, l, i) { w[l] = w[l] || []; w[l].push({ 'gtm.start': new Date().getTime(), event: 'gtm.js' }); var f = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], j = d.createElement(s), dl = l != 'dataLayer' ? '&l=' + l : ''; j.async = true; j.src = '//' + i + dl; f.parentNode.insertBefore(j, f); })(window, document, 'script', 'dataLayer', 'GTM-MJL5CR'); (function(w, t, f) { var s='script',o='_giosg',h='',e,n;e=t.createElement(s);e.async=1;e.src=h+'/live/'; w[o]=w[o]||function() {(w[o]._e=w[o]._e||[]).push(arguments)} ;w[o]._c=f;w[o]._h=h;n=t.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];n.parentNode.insertBefore(e,n); })(window,document,3860); (function(h,o,t,j,a,r){ h.hj=h.hj||function(){(h.hj.q=h.hj.q||[]).push(arguments)}; h._hjSettings={hjid:928553,hjsv:6}; a=o.getElementsByTagName('head')[0]; r=o.createElement('script');r.async=1; r.src=t+h._hjSettings.hjid+j+h._hjSettings.hjsv; a.appendChild(r); })(window,document,'','.js?sv='); var _paq = _paq || []; /* tracker methods like "setCustomDimension" should be called before "trackPageView" */ _paq.push(["setCookieDomain", "*"]); _paq.push(["setDomains", ["*"]]); _paq.push(['trackPageView']); _paq.push(['enableLinkTracking']); (function() { var u="//"; _paq.push(['setTrackerUrl', u+'piwik.php']); _paq.push(['setSiteId', '1']); var d=document, g=d.createElement('script'), s=d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; g.type='text/javascript'; g.async=true; g.defer=true; g.src=u+'piwik.js'; s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s); })();