Pension coverage during unsalaried periods
You will receive pension for certain unpaid periods if your insured earnings under the Finnish pension acts throughout your career amount to at least EUR 17,807.01 (at the 2019 level) before your retirement.
The earnings basis and the percentage according to which the pension is calculated
Pension accrues at an annual rate of 1.5 per cent on the percentage of earnings on which the benefit is based (“earnings basis”), and this percentage varies depending on the benefit.
- Maternity, special maternity, paternity and parental allowance: The earnings basis is the confirmed taxable income (for the self-employed, YEL or MYEL income) of the year preceding the year when the benefit began. (117%)
- Earnings-related unemployment allowance (until the lowest retirement age): The earnings basis is the person’s earnings during the 10-month period immediately preceding unemployment (minus holiday pay and holiday bonus, and pension, unemployment and health insurance contributions). For the self-employed, the earnings basis is, at maximum, their YEL or MYEL confirmed income. (75%)
- Sickness allowance, partial sickness allowance, special care allowance: The earnings basis is the same as for parental benefits; for partial sickness allowance, half that amount. (65%)
- Daily allowance for a communicable disease: The earnings basis is the person’s salary; for the self-employed, it is their YEL or MYEL confirmed income. (65%)
- Rehabilitation allowance: The earnings basis is the person’s earnings from the five calendar years preceding the year when rehabilitation was applied for; for Kela’s rehabilitation allowance, the earnings basis is the same as for sickness allowance. (65%)
- Daily allowance under motor liability, accident and military injury insurance: The benefit is based on the employer’s report or on tax information; for the self-employed, on the company’s accounting data. (65%)
- Earnings-related education/training subsidy and daily allowance: The earnings basis is the same as for unemployment allowance. (65%)
- Adult training subsidy: The earnings basis is the previous year’s earnings; for the self-employed, EUR 741.96 per month. (65%)
- Earnings-related job alternation allowance: The earnings basis is the previous year’s earnings. (55%)
Pension from child home care and studies leading to a degree/qualification
Pension accrues on the basis of a monthly income of EUR 741.96 from caring for a child under the age of 3 at home. This benefit accrues only if the parent’s pension security does not accrue from work.
Pension also accrues on the basis of a monthly income of EUR 741.96 from studies leading to a university degree or vocational qualification starting from the age of 18.
- higher university degree: for a maximum of 5 years
- polytechnic degree and similar degrees: for a maximum of 4 years
- lower university degree: for a maximum of 3 years
- vocational upper secondary qualification: for a maximum of 3 years
The same benefits accrue from studies leading to a foreign degree or qualification, provided that student financial aid was obtained according to the Finnish Student Financial Aid Act.
The labour market subsidy, basic unemployment allowance according to the Act on unemployment benefits, and pension assistance are taken into account as a fixed sum in euros (EUR 1,483.91/month in 2019) only when calculating the amount of disability pension.
The benefits will show in the pension record details only in spring of the year after the benefit was received. Be sure to check your information in April, and if you notice any missing information in your benefits for unpaid periods before 2019, submit an enquiry.