Pension is a benefit that must be applied for
Before applying for pension, you can estimate the amount of your pension in our online service.
- Check this page for your eligibility to receive pension.
- Fill in the electronic application - check below for when to do so.
You can apply for both earnings-related and national pension at the same time. Are you eligible for national pension? Check
Apply at the right time
- Old-age pension or partial old-age pension: 2 weeks before the start of the pension
- Old-age pension for persons 62 years or over who have received additional days of unemployment allowance: during the month before the start of your retirement
- Disability pension: 2 - 3 months before the 300-day period of daily sickness allowance ends
- Partial disability pension or years-of-service pension: preliminary application a few months before
- Survivors' pension: as soon as possible after the death of the preliminary beneficiary
If you have lived or worked in other countries, you generally apply for pension through your country of residence. If you currently live in Finland and previoiusly lived abroad, apply for pension 6 months before you plan to retire. Also fill in the digital Appendix U Residence and Employment Abroad.
If an illness is making it difficult for you to continue working, consider applying for rehabilitation.
Is your employee about to retire? What should the employer do? (pdf)