You can work while drawing disability pension and years-of-service pension as long as you take into account your personal income limit. The work accrues pension, which needs to be applied for with an old-age pension application. Fill in an old-age pension application in our online service when your employment relationship ends and you have reached the pensionable age.
Your income limit depends on whether you receive disability pension or partial disability pension. You can check your income limit in your pension decision and our online service.
- When drawing disability pension, your earnings cannot be more than 40% of your earlier income level.
- When drawing partial disability pension, your earnings cannot be more than 60% of your earlier income level.
- You may, however, earn 922,42 euros per month (in 2023) without it affecting the payment of your pension. This earnings limit also always applies to Kela’s disability pension.
- If you are an entrepreneur, your confirmed YEL income cannot exceed the income limit stated in the decision (the monthly income limit multiplied by twelve).
- While collecting years-of-service pension, your earnings cannot exceed 922.42 euros per month (in 2022).
If you receive national pension or another benefit from Kela (e.g. housing allowance for pensioners), report your gainful employment to Kela. If you receive pension from abroad, contact the pension institution of the country in question.
Monitor your income on a monthly basis and let us know in good time if you exceed the income limit. If you know your income limit will be exceeded for the next three months, contact Varma so that we can suspend your pension for this period and we can avoid having to recover the pension.
If you have any questions about suspending your pension and about income limits, please contact Varma. Log in to Varma Online Service, send a message in the Messages and documents service and select ‘Disability pension’ as the subject.
Log in to Varma online Service
Leaving pension dormant
If your health improves to the extent that you could try earning above your earnings limit, you can try working and leave your pension dormant without worrying about exceeding your earnings limit (regulation in effect until 31 Dec. 2024). In this case, your pension will not be terminated, but instead it will be dormant and your pension payments will be put on hold for at least three months and at most two years.
When you stop working or reduce the amount of your work such that your earnings fall below the limit, inform Varma of the reduction in your earnings and we will resume the payment of your pension at your request. If your earnings are reduced, you can notify us thereof in a free-form message in our online service.
If your pension has been left dormant and you have not been able to work such that your earnings exceed your earnings limit for at least three months, your pension will be paid retroactively starting from the date that it was placed in dormancy. Contact Varma.
If you continue working and exceeding your earnings limit for more than two years, your pension will stop completely.