What to do when I am unhappy with a decision?

Are you unhappy with a decision we have given you, but not entirely sure how to proceed? We answer the most common questions about appealing below.

How do I appeal?

The appeal must be done in writing.

What information must be included in the appeal?

Please provide the following information:

  • your name, social security number and address
  • if the complaint concerns TyEL insurance: the name of the employer and the TyEL insurance number
  • the decision or a copy of the decision to which your appeal relates
  • the statements on which you are relying
  • which decision you are appealing against
  • on what points of the decision you are appealing
  • what amendments you request to be made to the decision
  • the grounds on which you seek the amendment
  • that it is intended as an appeal to the Pension Appeal Court

You may submit further information at a later date.

How to submit the appeal?

You can submit your appeal electronically, in person, or by courier.

Where should the appeal be sent, and to whom should it be addressed?

Submission electronically

Make your appeal electronically in the Varma Online Service:

  1. Log in to the service with your personal online banking codes.
  2. Go to the page Messages and documents and the section
    Decisions and documents.
  3. Select the decision or insurance policy you want to appeal.
  4. Click on Appeal against the decision and fill in the form.

Submission by post

Complaints sent by post should be sent to:

Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
P.O. BOX 2
00098 VARMA

Address your appeal to the Pension Appeal Court, but send it to Varma.

What is the latest possible date for submitting the appeal?

The appeal must be submitted no later than the thirtieth (30th) day after you were informed of the decision. It must be delivered on the last day of appeal before the customer service closes. See the current opening hours for our customer service.

What if my address changes during the appeal process?

If your address changes, please notify Varma and the Pension Appeal Court in case we have transferred your appeal to them.

Amendments to a decision

We will amend our decision if we find your claims justified. Otherwise we will transfer your appeal to the Pension Appeal Court for handling, and we will notify you of the transferral.