TyEL insurance provides cover for your employees
With statutory TyEL insurance you ensure pension cover for your employees. As an employer, it is your responsibility to take out the insurance and to report your employees' earnings to the Incomes Register. Take out TyEL insurance before submitting the earnings information to the Incomes Register, because you will need the pension policy number, when you submit the notification.
Do you need to take out TyEL insurance?
Your employee is insured under TyEL, if
- the work is performed under an employment contract,
- the employee is between 17 and 67 years old and
- the monthly salary paid for the work is at least EUR 60,57.
Both companies and private persons must insure their employees. TyEL insurance is taken out at the beginning of the calendar month following your employee's 17th birthday and continues until the end of the month in which your employee turns 68. A person who works while drawing a pension is also insured until the end of the month in which he or she turns 68.
The nationality of the employee has no bearing: work performed in Finland is usually insured in Finland regardless of the employer's or employee's nationality. Read more about international work and pension cover here.
Sometimes work takes only a short time. You can act as a temporary employer, if
- you don't employ regular staff and
- salaries are less than 8 676 euros within 6 months.
Report the payroll information to the Incomes Register. You can easily make notifications using the free-of-charge Palkka.fi service (in Finnish and Swedish only) or a commercial payroll service such as Palkkaus.fi (in Finnish only).
- If you use the Palkka.fi service, choose "Varma" as insurance company on the dropdown-list on the online form. The system will generate Varma's company ID and pension insurance number.
- If you are a corporate user of Palkka.fi, you can choose whether you want a TyEL invoice from Varma or get the payment information from Palkka.fi. If you choose the invoice from Varma, you can also get consolidated invoice and receive your TyEL invoices in electronic format.
- If you use the technical interface or the upload service of the Incomes Register, remember to provide Varma's company ID "55" and as pension insurance number "55-3999990D".
When you pay more than EUR 1 300 in wages or salaries during a calendar year, you must take out statutory workers’ compensation insurance and unemployment insurance.
- Get more information about the statutory workers' compensation insurance and ask for on offer from If P&C Insurance.
- Reab more about the unemployment insurance on the website of the Employment Fund.